Rex, Ashton, and Haley 2011

Rex, Ashton, and Haley 2011

Monday, January 3, 2011

Can I raise these children to be what God says they can be?

     God has laid on my heart a desire to raise these three precious gifts to be more than what this world says that they can be.  I sometimes truly fear the outcome of my efforts.  How can I teach my children thankfulness, obedience, attentiveness, a hatred for sin, to never retreat, submission to authority, respect, courage, a love for serving others, and a host of other godly characteristics?  When I start to dwell on my own imperfections and the current crop of teenagers (even some raised by well meaning parents) it is often enough to send me into an anxiety attack!  How do we walk a way pleasing to the Lord and pass on a legacy of faith and a destiny for greatness when our own examples are sadly lacking?
     I have been reading in 2 Samuel and 1 Kings.  King David was a man of worship, a man after God's own heart.  He was promised an unending dynasty, yet he and his children after him did not fulfil their covenant obligations.  This led to the eventual division of the kingdom and exile, not to be restored until the coming of Christ.  His children, as a majority, were spoiled and selfish.  They missed out on many of the Lord's blessings.  An example of what I believe was one of David's key mistakes is found in 1 Kings 1:6, "His father (David) had never interfered with him by asking, 'Why do you behave as you do?'"  So yes, he gave instructions to his son, Solomon, for success but he failed to train them in obedience or discipline them. 
     Raising children is a daunting task no matter what.  God's promises, however, are always true.  "Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it.  Then you will be prosperous and successful." -Joshua 1:8
     So I am encouraged to be obedient and do my best.  Yes, it is hard, hard work.  But today I will choose to trust Him where I fall short.  After all, he has been doing great things long before any of us were created.  More importantly he desires to have a relationship with us where we are in constant communication with him, bringing our needs, sharing our fears, praising him with our gratitude.  He did ask me to take on this responsibility and to do it with abundance and joy.  He also equipped me for it, no matter how inadequate I feel.
     Today's challenge and promise..."Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.  And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." - Phil. 4:6-7

1 comment:

  1. I prayed specifically for you last night against the guilt that so often leaves us frozen in place. I love how God's word affirms and confirms you. You are an awesome example of leaning on Him daily. I love the "mothering abundantly in our homes". What a beautiful picture! I love you!

    ReplyDelete